Sunday, November 6, 2011

White Bean, Sausage and Spinach Soup

This winter one of my goals is to try more soups.  They are typically pretty easy to make and taste great on a cold, snowy(more likely windy) day.  My fall back soup has always been chicken soup...that was about it in my soup repertoire. We needed to try something different.  My sister-in-law mentioned a White Bean, Sausage and Spinach Soup and I knew we needed to try it.

The original recipe comes from here.  I made a few modifications and cooked it in my crockpot.  It was a hit! (I made a double batch so we would have leftovers, this recipe is a single batch.)

My modifications were:
1. Using my homemade moose and pork sausage
2. Using dry Great Northern beans(I couldn't find Cannellini beans), which I soaked overnight
3. Using homemade chicken broth
4. Adding more seasonings
5. Using swiss chard instead of spinach

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pound homemade moose and pork sausage crumbled
1 onion (chopped)
6 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 dash ground red pepper (optional)
4 cups homemade chicken stock
3 cups Great Northern beans (I used dry beans that had been soaked overnight)
3 teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
1 bunch swiss chard (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Add the sausage to pan and cook until no longer pink.
2. Add the onion and saute until tender.
3. Add the garlic and red chili pepper and saute for another minute.
4. Add the sausage mixture, stock, beans, oregano, and bay leaf to crockpot.
5. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.
6. About 30 minutes(or less) prior to serving add the swiss chard.
7. When swiss chard is soft, soup is done.

I served our soup along with a grain free biscuit for dipping.  It was delicious!

Month of Thanks:
Day 4:  I'm thankful for my smart, assertive, beautiful daughter.  I'm so thankful that she made me a Mom.

Day 5:  I'm thankful for my sweet, sensitive, fun loving all boy 1st son.

Day 6:  I'm thankful for the snow that blankets the ground and mountains. It is so peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment